Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Triumphs


I have been very busy over the last two days. 5 to 6 hours cooking everyday at work as it's expo week for the kids. Fun Fun Fun, let me assure you. I've also ridden my bike 20kms each day to Frankfurt and back. Buying Roxy swimmers, top and a free beach towel for summer, fake tan for summer, Hollister spray and lotion for summer and some macarons because I felt like it. I also did exercises both days when I came home, for summer. Thankyou Cindy whitmarch, that hurt.

Amongst all of this I overcame a little fear I have. It's quite silly and I'm sure can only be understood if you've been in a similar situation. My hair, materialistic as I sometimes am, is extremely important. The first time I had my hair done in Germany Steffen organised it all, which was fine. But I got handed the learner hairdresser, and I understand we're all learners at some stage, but please don't learn on me! Result: my hair was cut too short and the foils weren't even close to my scalp and it took 4 hours. Steffen went mad over how many times I said 'My hair!'. This time I decided on a new hairdresser and I wanted to be able to go down and book it myself. So I came home from work on Monday and just mopped around trying to stop myself from crying because I was scared that it would end up resulting the same way it did when I went to pick up my coat from the dry cleaners months ago. The lady was extremely rude and her and her friend laughed at me for my slowness in understanding them. Thanks for
that. Back to the present, Steffen left for work and I rode my bike into the city to book my hair. Trying to look my cutest (because it always helps to gain their sympathy) I walked to the desk and it went like this:

Me: Hallo, Ich komme aus Australien und my Deutsch ist nicht so gut aber ich möchte diese (points to which hair package I want).
Lady: Deutsch Deutsch Deutsch. 12 folien ist nicht viele. deutsch deutsch deutsch.
Me: Ihr denkst mehr?
Lady: Viele mehr!
Me: Ok das ist ok.
Lady: deutsch deutsch deutsch Mitwoche?
Me: Klar.
Lady: deutsch halb driezehn deutsch. crazy deutsch.
Me: ....... Ahh Warte bitte. ( I'm suddenly lost in translation and my mind is too full). Funfzehn Uhr?
Lady: Ok Ich schrieben es für sie. Haarschnit auch ja?
Me: Ja ja. Ok danke tschüss. Bis Dann

And so I walked away a proud woman. Fully basic German was used but I had a good experience which is all that mattered. To talk to adults in German, for me, takes a lot more confidence than for the kids, they don't care and somehow always understand me. So that is my story and I'm getting my hair done on Wednesday at 3pm so you all know ; ) and I've been told to wear a dress that night. Steffen has a surprise! I'm so excited.
Bis bald

No comments:

Post a Comment