Saturday, May 15, 2010

Lessons Learnt


For the whole first month of being in Deutschland I was sick for about 80% of the time and now I have got it again really bad. I just can't stop coughing, sneezing and everything else that comes with a head cold or whatever this is. I'm actually sorry for my close quarter neighbours that they have to listen to me all day. Anyway, amongst this illness I've been reflecting on my time here since I've officially hit 6 months and Ive decided to do a little list of some things, so here goes:
  1. There is no foolproof way to escape getting sick when you live with your sick partner. You will ALWAYS get sick too.
  2. German locks are messed up. I'll never forget the cold snowy day I spent on the steps outside waiting for Steffen to get because I couldn't unlock the door. Or the day the teachers at school had to spend a few minutes teaching me how to unlock the door.
  3. In Frankfurt the pigeons don't move for you. YOU move for the pigeons. This especially
    counts when riding a bike.... Stupid obese pigeons. The same practice goes for some people in H&M as well but we won't go there.
  4. If your boyfriend works in a lounge and a football game is on don't count on him being home till that's finished even if the shift finished long beforehand.
  5. Also I've learnt that if I tell Steffen not to buy something i.e an extremely loud German World Cup Horn, he will just get his best friend to buy it and bring it over later.
  6. Always check under the couch when you've lost your wallet. It will save you 2 hours at the police station with a policeman that thinks he's God's gift to the world.
  7. Macarons from Frankfurt are like dog poo to the one's in Paris.
  8. How childish and unreliable adults can be towards their work commitments really amazes me sometimes. Definitely opposes the environment I grew up in.
  9. That the German language sounds its worse when Germans are trying to prove a point or are complaining. Omg, I can't stand it.
  10. German hairdressers have a thing for cutting your hair short, Steffi confirmed all my suspicions on that one.
  11. Sunday is the worst day in Germany. Nothing is open, everything is dead. I hate it.
  12. DHL and Deutsch Post are incredibly unreliable.
  13. Never ride in the bike lane going across the bridge that goes directly into the CBD of Frankfurt. Exchange to the footpath otherwise you will find yourself in the middle of two fast lanes of traffic. I really thought I was going to end that day in hospital.
  14. I've been fortunate enough to experience and/or witness the 'high-life' on a number of occasions here and I've really learnt that money doesn't make you happy.
  15. Red wine will always be better than white wine but red champagne is the best, with the slightest exemption for Moet & Chandon.
  16. The best full German conversations I've ever had were with old men. First being Steffen's Opa, he's awesome. Second being an old man at Steffs Lounge.
  17. It always seems really special to see Germans being proud to be German, waving their little flags and all.
  18. Toom is the only place to do your grocery shopping in Germany. Don't bother with Aldi, Penny Markt, Tegut, or any other and Rewe is only good for small supplies like Spar in Australia and in France Match is your best bet.
  19. And most importantly After-Eight (spearmint choc chip) is the best ice cream to buy from an Eis Cafe and Cookie Dough is way better than New York Super Fudge when it comes to Ben & Jerry's.
And here are some pics of my six months to end with.



No comments:

Post a Comment