Sunday, April 4, 2010

Frohes Ostern!

Happy Easter!!! Last Easter I saw Shamu for the first time! In fact, it was the first time I'd seen a Killer Whale and the first time my family just didn't celebrate Easter. I remember not seeing anything to do with Easter, perhaps it was because of America's recession, I don't know. This definitely opposes Germany though. The Germans go all out for Easter. They even have Easter trees with eggs, some are just plain colours while others can be really fancy. In the shopping centre here are displays of mechanical rabbits and horses and eggs that move with the sound of birds and a little tune. I think it's the feeling of spring that makes Easter something special here, the wildflowers, daffodils which the Germans also call Easter Bells and the real bunnies running around in the city.

Steffen and I celebrated Easter last night (Saturday night) with mum on skype, so we had Easter in Australian time. This was good because Steffen had to leave for work early this morning and won't be back till about 5ish. It was so cute last night though. I was talking to mum, after watching Mary Poppins, then the door bell rang and when I opened it there was Steffen, hands full of flowers, and a Lindt egg and bunny. I then gave him my gifts which were a Lindt egg and a box in the shape of a rabbits head which was full of Toffifee (a German sweet with caramel, toffee and a nut). After we exchanged our gifts we both went straight for the two large Cadburry bunnies which we received from the family back home on Monday. As you can see Steffen's one may have been decapitated and eaten a little earlier.

Nevertheless, I hope you all have a fantastic Easter and don't get too fat. Easter doesn't really work with mine and Steffen's healthy food regime but I'm sure we'll survive ; ) Lots of love and I'll leave you with a video of my darling Steffen trying to catch the Easter Bunny in Frankfurt..

2 comments:

  1. The most exciting and entertaining part of this blog was the video. It has truly made my day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hard to believe America was 12 months ago.
    Thought the trip to USA would have been more exciting than chocolate eggs. To the sentimental one.

    ReplyDelete