Saturday, June 26, 2010

London

Well, what can I say? London is AMAZING!!! It's my final night here and I've finally found time to write up a blog but unfortunately I can't post any pictures right now. I don't know where to start so much has happened...

To begin with I was almost denied entry into the country. Fantastic start, I know. I had no address at which I was staying at nor did I have Michelles number to ask. Didn't go down so well. Got even better when I didn't have a ticket out of the country as mum had it. I was shaking like a leaf, so sure I was going to be taken to the 'small room'. The lady made sure I felt horrible but let me in and I soon met up with Michelle. Made it to the pub, so cute, then sometime in the early morning fell asleep.

Woke up just a few hours later to pick mum and soph up from heathrow. Things looked so different in the morning and the sun was shining (like it has the whole time here). We got to the airport a bit late but I still managed to sneak up on Mum to surprise her. It's great to be with them again. We found the hotel then after a quick brekkie we travelled underground to Westminster. I must say, Big Ben is smaller than I imagined, though it still makes an impression. We continued walking around, saw the Change of Guards at Buckingham Palace. The next part was luck on all levels. We kept walking up this street near the palace and some policemen were halting pedestrians from crossing a drive way. We were told it was a member of the royal family but they couldn't say who. It was Charles. Could not believe it! In London and saw a member of the royal family, not the best but still! Trafalgar square was next followed by Piccadilly Circus which was a disappointment because most was covered in Scaffolding. After this HUGE day it was time to head back to the hotel after we stopped at the pub to pick up my luggage. To get to the hotel we walked through Hyde Park where we saw the Peter Pan statue (out of Winning London for those who might know). Sophie and Mum crashed while I explored the neighbourhood a bit more.

The next day we were on our own without Michelle. Together we perfected the Underground and saw Westminster Abbey which was so great as well. Seeing the burial sites of the royals and all. After this we took a ride on the London Eye which was fantastic, including the 4D film beforehand. It was also perfect because we pre-brought tickets so we didn't have to wait long. It was back on the train after this to go into the city and see Saint Paul's Cathedral, where Lady Di was married. We were even able to go up into the dome. Then we mad out way across the Millennium Bridge, saw The Globe Theatre and found Kings Cross. Kate, I gotta say it, I was disappointed. Platform 9 3/4 wasn't even between platforms 9 and 10!! It's kind of off to the side near platforms 1 to 8. We got the photo anyway. We decided it was then time to go back to the hotel and prepare for Priscilla Queen of the Desert down at Piccadilly. This too was good and we got to take a typical London cab home. Magical Cabbie!

Today Michelle joined us again and we fast tracked our way through the line to Madame Tussuad's. The wax models were so life like! I never relised how small some people were. After we made our way from Bakers Street (Sherlock Holmes) to the city to see Tower Bridge. Once again luck struck and we got to see the bridge open. After lunch we went back across the Thames to The London Tower where Anne Boleyn was murdered. AND for all those who studied Richard 3rd last year, I saw the tower and room where the princes were murdered. I really liked it actually. Finally it was time to shop so we went to Harrods and only brought from the gift shop even though it was Sale time. The whole store was packed out and had everything, unbelievable.

Now I'm here. I realise it's probably not a good a post as previous but just a quick run down of events is all I can offer at the moment, sorry. Tomorrow we leave London and head to York stopping at Cambridge along the way. I'm glad to get out of expensive London and see the countryside but I'm so glad about the time we've had and the weather being so hot and sunny. We've had luck every single day and I could not have asked for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment