Saturday, June 5, 2010

The Burn


And this ladies and gentlemen is the place where I learnt a valuable lesson. Which is, that just because you're not in Australia anymore doesn't mean that the sun can't hurt you. Because it can, and it did. Today I laid in a direct line with every UV ray that burning thing in the sky had.

We should start from the start. Firstly I got up and did some kickboxing then some pilates on excercisetv then I had my Special K with yoghurt and a banana, the sun was shining and it was a grand 30°C out. Steffen had to work till 4 which was when he would have a break, so I decided to go to the Beach Club (remember, the place with the bad 'sand') for 3 hours till then. I parked my bum in a Bacardi deck chair and read my backpacking for girls book thinking I'd get a slight burn which would just be a tan tomorrow. Ok, enough of the book after an hour so I collapsed the chair and laid on it so my back could get some sun. Thankfully, my back has super sun repellent powers and nothing happened. After a while I set the chair up and began looking around at the people sympathising that this was all they had for a 'beach'. Then the frustration of getting really hot and not being able to jump into the water got to me so I decided it was time to leave and rode my bike home. But not before buying a watermelon!

Steffen was already home and his reaction made me realise how bad things were. We went inside and as he cut my watermelon I studied what had become of myself in the mirror. Never, ever, in my whole life, can I remember being this red! It's now half past 9 and it has only gotton worse. I've frozen myself to death 3 times over in the shower, my moisturiser is now living in the fridge so when I put it on its cold (for 10 seconds) and I'm drinking loads of water to keep hydrated. So I just sit here waiting for the cold sun stroke chills to kick in and hope I won't wake up tonight sick.

Just because you're not in Australia anymore doesn't mean the sun can't hurt you. Slip Slop Slap (and wrap!) goes for all nations. End of story.

No comments:

Post a Comment