Thursday, June 17, 2010

Prüfung

Today, my second last day at work, was the day when we would see if a lot of hard work would transform into success. Today was the student I tutors oral exam. In Germany the scores range from 1 to 6, with 1 being the best and 6 the worst. 3 months ago everyone was expecting my student to get a 6 (if he didn't walk out of the exam that is). He had received a 2 in his written exam already which I could not have been more happy more. I also gave him a 2 for his overall class grade. We practised writing for weeks on weeks along with listening tasks and reading comprehension. Finally it had all worked out. To his surprise he actually wrote 214 words in the creative writing part where he was only required to write 150.

However today was the big one. I had sat in on some earlier oral exams just to see how it worked. Steffi asked the questions and did the conversation. Another teacher wrote down points. Then there was an official examiner and then me. Together we all sat around a table with the student, creating a calm setting. Though I don't think it made the students any calmer. If it were me I'd be freaked out too. Finally 12pm came around and it was my students turn. I went into the prep room with him where I wasn't allowed to say much. I had to ask if he felt ill and he said yes but I said I don't care you're doing this anyway. After 20 minutes we went to the examination room and I was so nervous. There wasn't much to worry about though, he read the required paragraph perfectly. All those pages of articles from the Internet I made him read were worth it. I could tell he was nervous as well and that he could have said a lot more. When the time was up I think he was a bit stunned, not believing that it had gone so fast. We sent him out for 2 minutes and everyone agreed he deserved a 1! It was so great, we called him back in and told him and he really didn't believe it there was this funny little laugh and then he just took some lollies from the plate on the table, still unable to believe it. Everyone was so happy and proud. I went down to the staff room afterwards and everyone congratulating me on how far I got him. I'm proud on myself but in the end it's the student that does the test and the talking, not me. It is weird to think though that I went to the school to help teach some English and learn German along the way but I never thought I would fully teach someone English. From nothing to really something. It's great to look back on the progress made, every time I got angry and yelled at him, every time he would get 100% in a paper I created. For two hours 3 days a week and 1 hour every other day for about 3 months we spoke complete English, wrote in complete English and read in complete English, which all lead to complete success. And finally tomorrow I can get my umbrella and Mary Poppins away, my work there, is done.

p.s. Prüfung means exams in German. I have heard this word one too many times in the last month due to Steffens exams and the exams at school. Prüfung prüfung prüfung.

2 comments:

  1. i loved this story i was like awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww the whole time, it sounds so sweet, u r aw3som mo mo. have fun =]xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. when u come back to aust... maybe u should replace ms martin ... it sounds like ur more qualified, helpful and understanding... while she was...well a bitch with fuzzy hair.

    good story! :)

    ReplyDelete