Thursday, September 23, 2010

Heathrow

Thursday 23rd September, 2010. I've found myself in Heathrow for the last time for a long time. The famous Terminal 5 is bustling with people going on new adventures, people handing out cards for free perfume samples (which I took) and people like me, going home. Somewhat. I've never really viewed my Gap Year on a whole. It's always been broken into sections; the holiday after finishing the HSC part, the working part, the holiday with Mum and Sophie part and then this part. The backpacking part. I've come a long way since I first tried on that backpack in a suit on a rainy Sydney day in The North Face store after my successful interview for university. To say at the least the backpack was never worn again with something so nice. For 48 days I travelled with Michelle, my backpack, 7 tops, 2 shorts, 1 skirt, 1 pair of jeans, thongs, slip ons, and walking shoes (which died at La Tomatina), 1 pair of swimmers, 7 pairs of underwear and 4 bras. I never want to see these items of clothing again! All this is not the important part of this entry though. It's that a couple of days ago mum sent me this message:

"... It's nice to know that u have succeded in what you set out to do
n worked hard and saved for. I'm proud of you. have fun."


After 48 days I can happily say that I've done it. I backpacked around Europe! Instead of imagining I can now remember which is the greatest feeling at the moment. Looking back on the whole thing is strange because even though there are some things I would consider changing there is nothing I actually would. The people we met in the hostels and on the tours have all taught me something. Whether it be about life, visas, housing investments, drinking, cars, credit ratings, future travel ideas you name it, I've taken it all away with me for future reference. I actually get a bit scared at what I would be like if I hadn't done this - I wouldn't have met these people or learnt these things. I learnt more useful information in the 48 days than I had in all my schooling. And if I may say so myself- I am damn proud too of what I achieved and that I got what I wanted and worked for. I hope you, dear reader's, get to feel the same one day or that you already have.


1 comment:

  1. I can't believe it's over :'( Everyday for like two weeks ive been checking here for new blogs then i gave up, tonight i thought id see if youve written anything and there was all this new stuff. It sounds so fun and exciting, and i literally laughed at somethings. =] I wish i could do this next year.

    ReplyDelete