Thursday, September 23, 2010

Athens

10th September 2010, Athens Backpackers Hostel.

For Antony Ruscoe...
'Dear Diary'

First things first, I say. Athens is a hole. Moving on. Yesterday was our first day in Athens, we arrived at the perfect hour of about 1am. Our hostel is pretty good, we've scored the top floor which means we get a balcony which we've used quite a bit. I barley slept during the first night because the window was open and my bed was near the clear door to the patio. So for that I had mozzies in my ears and biting me all night which grew a bit of paranoia within me. I had believed I got the bed which was ridden with bedbugs. Was not be, however, I woke with no rash but with plans to change beds later.

After a good chat to an American guy I headed down to brekkie with Michelle then we began the walking tour which the hostel organised. It was horrible. The guide spoke so fast and seemed a little lost with what she was saying. We left the group early as Michelle's show broke so we brought new ones as well as lunch.
Afterwards we decided to come back to the hostel as there was nothing else to do. Michelle went on the Internet as I came up to the room. No one was in there so I just went to the loo and left the door open. Then someone walked in, out of all moments, and I somehow managed to get the door shut. When I walked out I met Antony Ruscoe. An Australian from the 'sunny coast' that has met an astronaut from Las Vegas. Turns out he just finished his 16 day Turkey Tour the same day Michelle and I started ours. So back on the 28th August we were at the same restaurant just tables apart. It's a small world this backpacking one. Antony had heaps of stories which he told while I changed beds, it was really cool to chat with someone who had also done the previous tour including paragliding. Michelle came up and we sat on the patio chatting the arvo away because, as mentioned, there is nothing to do in Athens. Then Antony tells us about an open air theatre and how him and some others were going to go that night. So we went and brought our tickets as well as ice cream. Eventually at 7pm we made our way to the rooftop bar for happy hour. This was the amazing view from the roof.
Here we met a guy who'll be on our boat tour and a couple who have already done it. The reviews weren't good. A bit of panic arose but we came to the conclusion it must be alright by now since most the probs were with the boat. This night we met our other movie buddy, Brittany from Seattle who owns 2 drive-thru coffee shops at just 23. This girl was awesome and didn't come across as the somewhat typical American tourist. It ended up being just us four going to the movies from the hostel. The theatre was on an incredible rooftop right next to the Acropolis which was all lit up. Inception was played (which I was so sure Tom Cruise was in) and afterwards we broke down the possibilities of it ending and what we should do tomorrow.
Today was a great day. Brittany, Michelle and I went up to the Acropolis which I got into for free because I'm only 19, whoo-hoo! It was so hot up there yet the place was really impressive. Antony told us to play games where you lie down and get a whistle blown at you. We didn't. We did however get frozen lemonades afterwards while waiting for Antony.
Once altogether we walked in the heat to Zeus' temple. The most interesting thing here was the tortoise that came out of the bushes.
Slowly this turned out to being the walking tour we did yesty but in reverse. We looked at the photos we just had developed from La Tomatina over our 2 Euro Gyros (uros) then made our way back to the hostel, again. For the rest of the afternoon we sat on our patio. Brittany got moved into our room by chance and later we all went out for gelato. I tried watermelon and now I highly recommend it. Again we made it up to the roof bar and Brittany shared some chocolates she brought for us, so cute.
Later after dinner we resorted to, that's right, the patio, where we had peanut butter M&M's and Turkish Delight from Turkey while looking at a Martha Stewart Halloween Magazine. Not to be laughed at, this was a cool book. Now the day is don't and it'll be Michelle and I tomorrow as Antony heads for a TravelTalk tour in Egypt and Brittany will ferry it to Santorini. It's sad to see these two go but at least we had today... and now facebook.

September 11, 2010, Athens.

It's raining (which is something I said it would do 12 hours ago), there is thunder, lightning and 2 new people in our dorm who've missed their ferry to Ios so now they're here. The rain actually smells nice so it's not bad. Today we just did laundry, went to where we had dinner last night where I tried Moussaka. Not bad. That's it however, we were looking into going to an enclosed movie theatre but nothing I particularly felt like paying for was on. Can't wait for the islands tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment